7 Tips To Keep Your Rug In Top Shape – Washington DC
keep your rug in top shape, Whether you have a Persian or Turkish rug, you should know how to care for it. Rugs are an investment and can last for years if properly cared for. Otherwise, they will start to get stained, dirty, and damaged. All you need is a little information and guidance on maintaining your rugs. That’s why in this article, you’ll learn some tips to keep your rug in top shape in Washington, DC.
1. Let it breathe
- Keep your rug away from heat sources.
- Let it dry after cleaning and vacuuming it, or you’ll be left with mildew and mold on your rug.
- Don’t place rugs on top of furniture like coffee tables or dressers; they can pull the rug off of its backing and cause damage to both the rug and the table leg. Not to mention that this will leave ugly marks on your floors!
Need more information on letting your rug breathe? Ask our professional team! They are always ready to help you solve your rug problems. Please contact us now and use some tips and advice, so you’ll be good to go! Rug Repair Near Me!
Also Read: How Do I Get Rid Of Moths
2. Vacuum regularly
- Vacuum your rug regularly, preferably once a week. You don’t need to put the pedal to the metal: go slow and use gentle strokes with a vacuum designed for rugs.
- Use a soft brush attachment if using an upright or canister vacuum. The bristles will help remove dirt and hair without damaging the fabric.
- For small areas with deep pile rugs, try using a rotating brush attachment instead of a soft one. This will help loosen up dirt in deep piles so it can be sucked up by your vacuum cleaner easily!
3. Keep it clean
- Make sure you’re using the right type of vacuum cleaner to avoid damaging your rug. A bagless model is not recommended if you have a wool, silk, or sisal rug. These materials can be easily damaged by dust and debris that gets sucked into the machine. On the other hand, if you have a synthetic or polypropylene rug, go ahead and use any vacuum confidently!
- Vacuuming regularly is an essential part of keeping your rugs looking great. If possible, do this twice per week or once every other day. The number of times vacuuming your rug depends on how much foot traffic there is in your home. Vacuuming picks up dust and dirt from footsteps throughout the day. It also keeps pet hair from accumulating on top of them. keep your rug in top shape.
4. Keep an eye on spills
Many things can damage your rug. The most obvious is water: if you spill coffee or drop your glass of wine on the floor, it will be difficult to fix it. Because there will be no way to prevent the liquid from seeping into your rug and leaving a stain.
To avoid this problem, always keep a cloth underneath anything that could potentially spill or break on top of them. Some people also use coasters under their glasses when moving them around. This will help protect your rugs from any potential spills. You can also cover your rugs with a tablecloth or runner when entertaining to keep stains at bay.
We have lots of stain-removal guides on our website! Make sure you check them all and get some helpful tips on removing each type of stain. If the stain is so old and rough, you can request a quote now and get professional help.
Also Read: Why Your Rug Smells Like Pet Odor
5. Beware of moths and insects
Another common issue is insects like moths eating away at the fibers in your rug and ruining its structural integrity. To prevent these creatures from nesting inside yours, try using mothballs near where they live. This smell should repel them away. So, they don’t stay near enough and long enough to do any damage!
6. Keep sunlight away from your rug
Sunlight can fade dyes, cause damage to the fibers of the rug, and even change its color over time. All of these could happen if your rug’s left exposed to direct sunlight for long periods without protection. Some rugs need to be exposed to sunlight (such as an outdoor patio). Therefore, make sure they’re covered with a protective tarp or umbrella.
Also, you can get professional help if your rug ever gets damaged by sunlight. Our rug experts at Khazai Rug Cleaning know how to fix it and make it as good as new!
7. Control humidity
As a general rule, keep your home’s humidity level between 40 and 60 percent. If you notice that your rug is starting to feel dry, increase the moisture level in the air. For that, you can use a humidifier. You can also try keeping your windows open for several hours daily (if possible).
You should now be armed with the knowledge of how to take care of your rug. Remember that every rug is different and what works for one may not work for another. However, these tips should at least get you started. If you have any questions or need help, please get in touch with us and request a quote now! Our rug professionals at Khazai Rug Cleaning are always ready to help you maintain your rugs properly in Washington DC.