How to Clean Shag Area Rugs Easily?
Shag area rug cleaning, Maintaining a clean shag rug is essential to keep your house neat and free from allergies. If you have one in your home, you know how difficult it can be to maintain its cleanliness. Not only do they attract dust and dirt easily, but also some stains are difficult to remove. This article deals with how to clean shag area rugs easily. Then it will introduce the best professional shag rug cleaning service. So first, let’s see what exactly a shag rug is.
What is a shag rug?
A shag rug is a type of rug that has a short pile or nap. The term “shag” refers to the length of the fibers, which are cut to different lengths to create a soft and fluffy surface. Shag rugs can be made from wool, cotton, or synthetic fibers; they’re often used in living rooms or bedrooms as they are comfortable and warm. Shag rugs come in many colors and patterns, so you can find one that fits your style!
However, shag rugs are not recommended for homes with pets. But, if you have pets and your floor is covered by shag rugs, you can always count on our help! Your shag rug tends to accumulate dirt and pets’ hair and get dirty.
Therefore, our team at Khazai Rug Cleaning is always ready to help you clean your shag rugs. Please contact us and leave the rest to our professionals.
Also Read: The Ultimate Guide To Rug Reapir
What are the different ways of cleaning a shag rug?
Shag area rugs can be cleaned in a variety of ways, including:
- Dry cleaning
- Spot cleaning with soap and water (following manufacturer’s instructions)
- Vacuum steam cleaning machines or steam cleaners that use hot water.
- Using a carpet shampooer with the appropriate attachments for your type of shag area rug.
Shag rugs are not recommended for homes with children. Kids tend to play on them and spill food and drinks, causing permanent stains if not cleaned immediately. Our professionals at Khazairugcleaning have removed various stains on different rugs. They know how to treat your stained shag rug properly. So, please feel free to request a quote and let us help you! shag area rug cleaning.
Are shaggy rugs easy to clean?
Shag area rug cleaning is not the easiest to clean compared to flat, low-pile rugs. Their long, fluffy fibers can trap dirt, dust, and debris more easily, making vacuuming less effective. Cleaning a shaggy rug typically involves regular and thorough vacuuming with a brush or beater bar attachment to remove surface debris and fluff the fibers.
Some shaggy rugs are machine-washable, but it’s crucial to check the care instructions. The reason is improper cleaning can damage the fibers and ruin the rug’s structure. Moreover, stains should be addressed promptly with appropriate cleaning solutions. However, they can be more challenging to remove due to the rug’s texture.
For an effective cleaning, you will need the help of professionals. They know how to recognize the stains on those long piles and how to remove them. So, you can rest assured your rug will come home all clean and fresh.
How to clean a shag area rug easily?
Shag area rug cleaning can be done easily by following these step-by-step instructions:
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace
Clear the area around the rug and remove any furniture or objects on top of it. This will make the cleaning process easier and more effective.
Step 2: Shake or Beat the Rug
Take the rug outdoors and hang it on a sturdy clothesline or railing. Use a rug beater or carpet brush to gently beat the back of the rug. This will help dislodge dirt, dust, and debris trapped in the shag fibers. Beat the rug thoroughly, working from one end to the other.
Step 3: Vacuum the Rug
Using a vacuum cleaner with a brush or beater bar attachment, vacuum the entire surface of the rug. Make sure to adjust the vacuum to a higher height setting to prevent the brush from tangling or damaging the shag fibers. Go over the rug in multiple directions to ensure thorough cleaning. Pay extra attention to high-traffic areas.
Step 4: Spot Clean Stains
If there are any stains or spills on the rug, address them next. Blot (do not rub) the stained area with a clean, white cloth or paper towel to absorb as much of the stain as possible. Then, mix a solution of mild detergent and water or use a specialized rug cleaner designed for shag rugs. Gently blot the stained area with the cleaning solution, working from the outside of the stain towards the center. Rinse with clean water and blot dry.
Step 5: Dry the Rug
Allow the rug to air dry completely. Hang it back on the clothesline or place it on a clean, dry surface outdoors. Ensure that both sides of the rug are exposed to air to prevent mold or mildew growth. Avoid direct sunlight, as it can fade the colors of the rug.
Step 6: Brush the Fibers
After the rug is completely dry, use a soft-bristle brush to fluff up the shag fibers. Brush in the direction of the fibers to restore their fluffy appearance. This step will help the rug regain its texture and softness.
How to keep a shag rug clean?
Keeping a shag rug clean requires regular maintenance and a few preventive measures to minimize dirt and debris buildup. Here are some tips to help you keep your shag rug clean:
- Regular Vacuuming: Vacuum your shag rug at least once a week to prevent dirt and debris from settling deep into the fibers. Use a vacuum cleaner with a rotating brush or beater bar attachment. Adjust the vacuum height to avoid damaging the long shag fibers.
- High-Traffic Areas: Pay extra attention to high-traffic areas, such as entryways and living room seating areas. These areas tend to accumulate more dirt and should be vacuumed more frequently.
- No-Shoe Policy: Encourage family members and guests to remove their shoes before stepping onto the shag rug. Shoes can track in dirt and debris, which can become trapped in the rug’s fibers.
- Regular Shaking or Beating: Take the rug outdoors and shake or beat it to remove embedded dirt and dust. Doing this every few weeks can help maintain the rug’s freshness.
- Spot Cleaning: Address spills and stains promptly. Blot (do not rub) the affected area with a clean, white cloth or paper towel to absorb as much of the spill as possible. After that, use a mild detergent mixed with water or a specialized rug cleaner suitable for shag rugs to clean the stain. Then, rinse thoroughly with clean water and blot dry.
- Rotation: Rotate the rug periodically to ensure even wear and sun exposure. This can help prevent specific areas from becoming more soiled or faded more quickly than others.
- Use a Rug Pad: Place a rug pad under the shag rug. A rug pad not only helps prevent slipping but also provides an extra barrier to trap dirt and protect your floor underneath.
- Limit Direct Sunlight: Direct sunlight can fade the colors of your shag rug over time. Position your rug away from direct sunlight or use window coverings to block UV rays.
- Professional Cleaning: Consider professional cleaning for your shag rug at least once a year or as needed. Professional rug cleaners have the equipment and expertise to deep clean shag rugs effectively without causing damage.
How to clean a white shag rug?
If your shag area rug is white, cleaning may seem challenging. It requires some specific care to maintain its bright appearance. Here are the materials you need to clean a white shag rug:
- Vacuum cleaner with a brush or beater bar attachment
- Mild liquid detergent or specialized rug cleaner
- White vinegar
- Clean, white cloths or paper towels
- Soft-bristle brush
- Clean, cool water
- Rug pad (optional)
- Rug shampooer or steam cleaner (optional)
Start shag area rug cleaning by shaking and vacuuming it thoroughly, using a brush or beater bar attachment. Spot clean any stains with a mixture of mild detergent or specialized rug cleaner, and water, followed by rinsing and blotting dry. Optionally, consider using a rug shampooer or steam cleaner for deeper cleaning.
Then, brush the fibers once the rug is completely dry, and periodically rotate it for even wear. Using a rug pad can help protect the rug and prevent slipping. For stubborn stains or extensive cleaning needs, professional cleaning services may be necessary.
What are the steps to easily clean the shag rugs?
If shag rugs cover your floors, regular cleaning is the least you can do to keep them well-maintained. Regular cleaning is easy and includes several tasks that are explained below:
- Vacuum the rug with a soft brush attachment to remove dirt from the shag area rug.
- Clean the rug with a damp cloth or sponge, then dry it with a towel.
- Remove stains from your shag area rug by applying stain remover directly to them and rubbing gently until they disappear completely.
Also Read: The Pros and Cons of a Shag Area Rug
Regular cleaning is one of the most important ways of maintaining your area rugs. However, that is not the easiest way we previously mentioned. The easy way of cleaning your shag rugs is the one you won’t get involved in and will spend no time cleaning! That would be professional shag rug cleaning!
Why should shag area rugs get professionally cleaned?
Professional shag rug cleaning is the best way to clean your shag area rugs. A professional cleaner has the equipment and knowledge to remove all types of stains, including those you cannot see with your naked eye. They also have access to different solutions that can help break down dirt and grime more effectively than you could. It means they can get rid of even stubborn stains in less time than it would take you! shag area rug cleaning.
Professional cleaners also know how much water should go into a specific type of rug. So, too much water won’t damage it or cause mold growth over time (which would require replacement). In addition, they know what kind of soap works best for certain fibers. They also know how long each step should take place before moving on to another one. This ensures optimal results while avoiding unnecessary wear and tear on your precious rug!
There are many ways to clean your shag rug. You can choose to do it yourself and risk damaging your rug. Or you can choose the easy way and hire a professional cleaner. The Khazai Rug Cleaning team works hard to ease cleaning your rugs for you. They pick them up at your house and return them all clean in a few days.