How to Store a Rug – Ins & Outs of Rug Storage
Wondering, “How to store a rug to keep it safe and clean for a while”? This article is for you!
Rug storage is a process of keeping your rugs safe, preventing them from getting damaged. It’s important to know how to store your rugs properly to ensure it’s kept well-maintained while you’re not using them.
Rugs are delicate items that require special attention, even if they’re stored for a while. There are many different ways you can keep your rug safe when it’s not used. However, not all these methods will work equally well for every rug. So, this article will cover every aspect of rug storage and how to do it properly.
Related Post: How to get a Persian rug appraisal?
Why do you need to store your rugs properly?
You probably don’t spend a lot of time thinking about how to store a rug. But the reality is that if you don’t store them in a proper way, they can be damaged or ruined. Rug storage is a topic that’s often discussed in the context of keeping your rugs clean and protecting them from damage. While those are valid reasons for storing your rugs, other important benefits can be gained from proper storage.
There are many reasons for this. First and foremost, rugs are expensive and delicate and can be easily damaged.
For example, if you have a wool rug, storing it improperly can cause felting, making it look matted and fuzzy. It won’t feel as soft on your feet, either! Also, if a wool rug gets wet, it can shrink dramatically. This means that when you hang it up to dry, it will shrink even more and become misshapen.
Related Post: Do you bleach my rug fringe?
Also, if you have a synthetic rug, improper storage can cause discoloration or fading over time. If a synthetic fiber rug gets wet, it’s also likely to shrink. You may be worried about dirt and dust accumulating on your unused rugs. So, you should know that with proper rug storage, there’s less surface area for dust or other particles to settle on. The reason is that your rugs are properly folded or rolled, and no contaminants can get through.
All in all, your rugs need to be kept in an environment where they won’t get damaged by dust, dirt, or insects. Also important is keeping them away from water and moisture, which can cause severe damage to your rug.
What defines improper rug storage?
If you know the best way how to store a rug, it can become damaged by environmental changes. Here are some examples of improper rug storage that you should avoid:
- If the rug is folded or rolled improperly, it will lead to various damage. Therefore, you should ensure that the way of packing it is compatible with its type.
- Rugs stored in a humid area are constantly prone to mold and mildew, as well as moths. So, store them in a dry area and a clean surface.
- Hanging your rugs up is another improper way of storing them. A rug that is hung up from a higher surface can lose its shape. Moreover, it’ll be difficult to protect it from carpet beetles and moths. Instead, your rug should be packed in a breathable bag. So, it won’t be in direct contact with air, sunlight, or moisture.
- Storing your rug on the balcony or yard is never a good option. It will be exposed to direct sunlight, which can lead to color fading.
- Placing heavy objects on top of a rug when storing it can cause irreversible damage to it. Indentations or tears in the fabric will not be easily repaired. Therefore, you should make sure nothing will be placed on your stored rug.
Related Post: How to Preserve the Color and Quality of Your Turkish Rug?
Khazai Rug Cleaning offers the best rug storage services in Washington. Our company has been providing this service for a long time. It has managed to build its reputation as one of the best rug cleaning companies in the USA. We are also known for our excellent customer service and top-quality workmanship. Please contact us today and get professional help storing your rugs!
Where is the best place to store rugs?
The best places to store a rug have several important characteristics. First, it should be a dry place that is completely away from moisture. You should also keep rugs out of direct sunlight, as this can cause fading or discoloration over time. Moreover, avoid storing your rug near heat sources such as furnaces and fireplaces. Constant heat can damage the fibers in the long run.
The best place to store a rug is also away from dust and dirt. If you have pests like mice or rats living nearby, ensure they don’t find their way into the area of the rug storage.
So, neither your closet nor the basement is a suitable area to store your rugs. When you leave your rug storage to a professional, you won’t have to worry about finding the best place for it. At Khazai Rug Cleaning, we have a temperature and humidity-controlled area to store your precious rugs. Please feel free to contact us and let us know how we can help.
Related Article: Where to find the best companies that wash rugs near me?
Rug storage tips and tricks
Want to know how to store a rug correctly? Here are some tricks from our professionals that will come in handy.
- Vacuum the rug before storing it. This is the best way to remove dirt and dust from your rug. You can use a vacuum cleaner with a crevice tool or upholstery brush attachment. So, you’ll be able to get into all those nooks and crannies. However, make sure you don’t damage any fringe or tassels in the process.
- Don’t fold it. Folding rugs can cause permanent creases and distortion as they’re made of heavy materials like silk, wool, and cotton. These materials don’t lie flat easily when folded over themselves. Instead of folding your rug, try rolling it. It’s much easier and safer.
- Don’t store in direct sunlight or dampness. Most rugs are not meant for outdoor use. So, avoid storing them outdoors altogether during extended periods. If you have no place for rug storage but a small area on your balcony, make sure to cover it completely. So, they don’t get damaged by dust, insects, and rainwater collecting on top of them.
- Seal off all possible entrances to the place you store your rugs. So, no pests can access the rug. Use steel mesh fencing for this purpose. This will prevent any unwanted guests from entering through cracks around doors or windows.
How to prepare your rugs before storing them?
Before you store a rug, you need to clean and then dry it.
First, vacuum the rug thoroughly to remove any dirt or debris. If you have a vacuum with a brush attachment, use that to get into the rug’s corners.
Related Post: Professional Turkish Rug Cleaning in Washington, DC
You should also vacuum the area where you will be storing your rug. This will help remove any dirt or debris accumulated over time, as well as any dust mites or other pests. However, when you leave it to a professional, you won’t have to worry about vacuuming the place. Rug companies offering rug storage services have places specifically designed for rug storage.
Next, use a damp sponge or cloth to clean any spots or stains on the rug. Be careful not to saturate your rug in water. The amount of water should be enough, so it’s dampened and won’t dry out during storage.
After cleaning your rugs, leave them to get completely dried before putting them away. This will help prevent mold and mildew during storage!
It’s also a good idea to label each of your rugs with its corresponding number. This way, you will recognize your rugs if they get misplaced while moving things around.
Where to find rug storing services in Washington
If you want to store a rug in a safe place, then it’s best to hire the services of an expert. They can help you store your rug in a safe and suitable place.
If you live in Washington, you’re lucky you found us! Then you can enjoy having a professional rug company nearby. We at Khazai Rug Cleaning offer our customers the best possible service when it comes to storing rugs.
Related Post: How to Repair an Oriental Rug Edge?
We offer a variety of options to suit your own and your rug’s needs. During all these years, we have tried to offer the most comprehensive and affordable solutions. So, you can make sure your rug is treated properly and professionally.
One of the ways of maintaining your rug is to store it
Rug storage is one of the ways to maintain your rugs for a long time. It’s not a simple task, and it requires proper attention to ensure the rug’s longevity. If you are looking for reliable rug storage in Washington, then Khazai Rug Cleaning should be your first choice! We have years of experience in this field, and our experts will help you choose the best place to store a rug. So, they don’t get damaged while being transported or stored at our place.
You can rest assured that your rugs will be stored safely at our facilities. We have state-of-the-art systems in place to protect them from dust, dirt, or any other damage.
We offer a variety of options to suit your own and your rug’s needs. During all these years, we have tried to offer the most comprehensive and affordable solutions. So, you can make sure your rug is treated properly and professionally. Please don’t hesitate to request a quote and let us store your lovely rugs properly.